Sunday, February 2, 2014

Zendala Dare #90 - Happy Birthday

I know you are all eager to get to the Zendala Dare but I have a few pieces of business to address.

First, let me thank you for all your comments on my post about the "fluff" in my blog.  I couldn't believe all the comments and that 100% of them were positive!  Many people commented that it was my blog and I should do what I want.  While that may seem like an obvious statement, sometimes I need to step back to see what's right in front of my face.  I think that perhaps, I was just trying to get my own ego in check and see if anyone else was even interested in what I'm up to and the resounding answer was "YES!"    So thank you, thank you, thank you.  Thanks for your honesty.  Thanks for your comments.  Thanks for your loyalty.  Don't worry, there won't be any changes anytime soon!

My second piece of business are my monthly resolutions.  You can read about my theory of monthly vs. yearly resolutions here.  So here's an update on January's resolutions:  Fail, fail, fail!

1.  Exercise 30 minutes a day - This one lasted 3 days.  On day 3  I overdid it with squats and lunges and was out of commission for 2 days.  2 days turned into 27 days and I haven't exercised since.  

2.  Watch what I eat - Umm, ya.  Whatever.

3.  Take 30 minutes each Sunday to review the upcoming week - This one is harder than you would think, especialy since I am in love with my day planner.  I think its just about getting in the habit of doing it.  A planner isn't any good unless you look at it.  This one was such a epic fail that I almost missed a shift at work and that has NEVER happened in my 15 years working for the company.

So, what am I going to do about this?  Try again.  That is the beauty of a monthly resolution.  You can just start over each month without any guilt.  I'll let you know how February goes!


Zendala Dare #90 - Happy Birthday

It's the first Zendala Dare of the month so there is an extra challenge.  Before we dive in, let's take a look at the template.


Link to Zendala Dare #90 templates

February 3rd is an epic day because it is MY BIRTHDAY!  

This guy (my dad) is partly responsible for getting me here:


Me and my dad


But let's face it, this woman (my mom) did most of the work!

My mom

I'm sure my mother will call on Monday to remind me that I weighed 11 lbs. 4 ounces and that I was not delivered by C-section.  Yes, I know mom.  I am sorry you had to deliver a toddler but it wasn't my fault.  Perhaps you should have controlled the Baskin Robbins chocolate mint ice cream cravings a little better.

My birthday got me to thinking.  I have so many readers who commented last week about how much they appreciate me, I'm sure they would love to get me a birthday present!  What would I like?  Chocolates?  Champagne?  A trip to Hawaii?  Oh, I know!  How about a little inspiration?  So your extra challenge this week is to gift me a bit of inspiration.  I want you to complete the Zendala Dare template and "gift" me one of your favorite tangles.  A tangle fit for the birthday girl.  Just fill out the template making sure that one of your tangles is a favorite of yours,  and make sure to include a note about which tangle you are dying to "give" me.  Starting next week I will use one or more of your "gifted" tangles in my Zendala Dares until all the suggestions are used up.  And just to make it a touch more difficult I am going to use them in the order they are posted on the linkey widget.  I'm sure I will get to revisit some old favorites and try out some new ones that you love.  I can't wait to open my "presents" and get started on next weeks Dare!

It would be a little selfish of me to ask for tangles and then not offer up one to you so I have completed this weeks Zendala Dare using one of my favorite tangles, Skein, by Sandy Steen Bartholomew.  This Zendala was completed using purple and black micron 01's.

Tangles: Skeins, Diva Dance, Caviar

After completing this template I realized that there is no published internet resource for the tangle Skeins.  Well that just won't due.  I must find a way to get it to you but it is only available in Sandy's book Yoga for Your Brain or on her new iPhone/iPad app called Tangle Library.  Yep, I feel a giveaway coming on!  All you need to win is to enter your name into the Rafflecopter widget below and I will pick a winner next week.  One entry per person and the winner will have their choice of the book or I will purchase the app for them.


Don't forget to post your Zendala Dare and link it below.  
Remember to use a tangle you want me to try and include
the name and a link if possible.


I hope you all have a wonderful week!

35 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Erin! It's my birthday today - February 3 too! Happy birthday to two Aquarians!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Erin, and thanks for a great dare! I don't know where to start..... I think you'll have a busy time using all our favourite patterns, but what a great way to get to know our preferences!
    I hope your grumpy complainer has gone back into his/her hole. There's a tangle imitating barbed wire somewhere on the net, I think a circle of the genuine stuff round anyone who expresses such negative thoughts and opinions would be the answer - so get that barbed wire round that individual and think of all the flowers and smiles in this world. Have a great birthday! (Calories don't count on birthdays, holidays, outings and ......)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Hope you have a great day with lots of presents and the best food ever.
    Thanks for the new template, I can't wait to start. It's 8:30 AM here now and I have a busy day ahead of me, so it will have to wait until tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Erin, enjoy your special day doing what you like to do. Hopefully you have got the day off work!! I love February as my anniversary is 14th and my birthday the 20th. Bring it on......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Erin. I happy you are not changing up anything here. Looking forward to the birthday challenge. Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very happy birthday wishes, Erin. As ever, looking forward to filling a new Zendala with some of my favourite tangles! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Erin
    I am so behind in posting maybe I will get caught up any whos hope your Birthday is a super sweet one, Thanks for all the templates and challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy birthday, sweetie!!!! i hope you have a great and wonderful day - even better if you had no work and no school, although that might not be possible :( i haven't done the zendala dare in a long time - i take on way too many obligations in my life. maybe my monthly resolution should be to say 'no' at least . . . what? . . . 3 times? at least :) happy birthday!!! and i'm going to try the dare this week! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy birthday !!! I hope your day is filled with love, laughter and joy (cake and alcohol are bonuses :-))!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! I am very much with you in the excercise department. Zentangle is the only Resolution that I have managed to stick to this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday. Mine is tomorrow. I'll share my presents with you. Oh, wait, my husband and I don't give each other presents, at any time. Sorry
    ;(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you the BEST birthday ever, Erin!!! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you a day filled with happiness, love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday Erin. The best part of your blog is the personal journey. Thanks of sharing a small bit of your life with us. It makes my journey less lonely to know that there are others who fail at exercise or struggle through getting to work on time. Keep up the great work and I will send you my favorite tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Erin!! Mine was the 1st. These are my top four favs Paradox, Betweed, Sandswirl and Pozer. But if I have absolutely have to choose a number 1 favorite I guess it would have to be Pozer. Again Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday! This was my first week participating in your Zendala Dare. Where have I been? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had a great day and hope that you enjoy all your presents. All these presents should extend the celebrating for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did not really make it clear in my post, but the tangfle that am gifting you is Twirl.

      Delete
  18. Happy Birthday, Erin! Wishing you loads of joy, abundance and love this coming year. <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope your birthday was awesome! I hope to find some time this evening to get on with the template and leave you birthday goodies. May I make a suggestion about your resolutions? Set yourself up for success, not failure. Insert voice of experience here. Instead of resolving to exercise every day for 30 minutes, resolve to exercise 3 days a week - then increase it with you success. As for food issues, do the same thing. Don't rush in and change everything at once - choose a baby step. Bread with every meal, now allow yourself only one meal with bread. Dessert every night, maybe only on weekends. You get the idea. Good luck with you successes this month!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HAppy Birthday Erin!! I have two posts for the dare this week..the first one was last weeks... so that is an oops... not sure how to remove it..so if you can that is okay with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A Belated Happy Birthday, Erin. I hope it was fabulous! As I mentioned in my blog, I have too many favorite tangles to limit myself to just one. So I'm gifting you with 3. But it looks like a couple of them are duplicates of what others have used. Great minds think alike, and all that. Anyway, enjoy. And may this next year be the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know if I'll get time to finish the dare (I haven't in several weeks), but my favorite tangle is Hollibaugh, if you want to add it to the list. And thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy birthday, Erin! I haven't done the zendala yet, but I wanted to make sure that I at least wished you a Happy Birthday before it's TOO late.

    I also just read your previous post. This is your blog and your life. How wonderful that have given us the gift of sharing your life and thoughts and all your great reference materials with us. It is our privilege to be able to have it. I enjoy reading about your life and feel like I know you, even though we've never met in person. I'm definitely in the it's-your-blog-and-you-can-do-what-you-want-with-it camp.

    I love that you included pictures of your mom and dad in your birthday post! I can see both of them in you.

    Finally, your summary of your resolutions was great! It really made me laugh and realize just how imperfectly human we all are.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday Erin - I couldn't help but see eyes in the outside shapes, so all eyes on you with some birthday candles to top it off. I didn't comment last week, but wanted to encourage you to just be you. It's your blog - you're in charge! x x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday, Erin! I hope the year ahead is filled with laughter and love!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy belated Birthday, Erin. So glad you were born! :) I can't tell you how much joy you bring to me through your Z-dare and sharing tidbits of your life with the rest of us. I didn't comment last week because the person who was so critical and ugly to you is probably very lonely and unhappy. Life is too short to choose to be that way! Go for the gusto, my friend and keep it real! We all love you! :) Jacque S. BTW: My gift to you is the star in the middle of my zendala, but I don't remember what it is called!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope you had a fabulous birthday, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm trying to get my Zendala done - however we've had bad storms here in the UK & I've needed to help my husband with some emergency repairs. However I've got an idea & will gift you two tangles (even if it's posted a little late, I hope it's OK to still link up?) Fescu & Fassett.
    Thank you for all your hard work & hope you had a super day.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  30. The only thing I dislike in a blog is negativity! Otherwise, I say share away. Oh, and politics or religion might be a bummer, too... I admire people who can share their life. It's not an easy thing to do - I have trouble getting past the weather.

    Thanks for another lovely template. I chose Tagh as a favorite to share.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Belated birthday ! Hope you can celebrate all month!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm working these randomly since I found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley